Friday, February 21, 2014

Olympic thoughts~

Hey everyone!
FEBRUARY POST CHALLENGE #15
Yep, that low low number up there, combined with today's date, is kind of freaking me out. I need ten more posts in seven days! Can I do it? 
Congrats to the men's hockey team in Canada vs USA today, WOOOO GO TEAM CANADA!
Did you know that during the duration of the Games, we've started off our theatre stages with the Canadian anthem instead of the Overture? We got on the news for that hehe ^_^
A lot of the figure skating fans in SERA00 are bummed out by the results from the women's figure skating. Adelina Sotnikova of Russia won the gold, defending champion Kim Yuna of South Korea won silver, and Carolina Kostner of Italy came in to collect the bronze. There's a lot of controversy around whether the scores are fair, or perhaps slanted in favour of the Russian skater. 
I'm seeing many netizens slamming the judges and Sotnikova for stealing Kim Yuna of her gold medal when she rightly deserved it. 
On YouTube, the video of Adelina Sotnikova has around a whopping 85% disapproval rate versus Kim Yuna's above ninety approval rate. All the comment boxes are filled with critical messages for Sotnikova and the judges, and full of praise and encouragement for Kim Yuna. 
What am I trying to get at? I don't know either, I'm just kind of ranting. I feel like ranting again after my recent photoshop rant. 
Who's side am I on? Kim Yuna. I am part of the many who believe that Kim Yuna outperformed Sotnikova so well that the five point gap between their scores is unfathomable. It should have been the other way around, with the Ice Queen on top. Kim's perfect program and beautiful poise just cannot be matched by any other figure skater. 
However, I do feel bad for Sotnikova as she's feeling the hate from the public. She was given a score that may or may not have been inflated, and is now facing the netizens' wrath, when I don't think she was really involved in the desicion. I read a comment that really made sense to me: Hate the scores, not the skater. And that's what I think we should all do. Protest your heart out for Kim Yuna; but at the scores, not the skater. Adelina Sotnikova did not skate badly, she was just given a questionable score. 

Anyways, I applaud you if you're still with me. Please support SERA00!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, Evie is waiting to read your comment ... ^_^